Sunday, January 3, 2010

Days two and three

Well, it was time to leave Utah and start the 13+ hour drive back to San Diego, which we decided to pursue over two days. On Saturday, January 2nd, I decided to get up early and practice my asanas before sitting in a car the rest of the day. I thought since I practiced the previous night after skiing, I’d be all set for a morning session. Not the case. My back (an injury I’ve been working to heal since July) had stiffened up terribly. I practiced for an hour, but never quite got my tight tack to open up again.


On the 3rd of January, we finished the long drive home and arrived quite early; 1:00pm. Todd was interested in running “the loop,” a four mile track starting from our home which includes some pavement running, but more than half through Tecolote canyon. I had run maybe once in the past month due to my back, but decided to go anyway. Huffing the last mile, I made it, and quickly set out two mats for a post-run practice for both of us.


This practice humbled me. I was both practicing and teaching to my husband, and I had to take a step back and remember what it feels like to be a stiff, athletic beginner. Instead of rushing on in the practice, I found my compassion and worked us both through several modifications. We worked on our backs, hips, and legs for about 30 minutes and it was like magic--my felt great the next day! Wish I could say the same for my upper back and shoulders--I never realized how tight I must hold them when I run.


Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment